By: Jim Johnson
Buying a new home can be one of the most important financial investments of your life, and so it is important to take the time and do it right. Sometimes home buying can be a long and tedious process too, and it can get wearing. But if you follow these five important real estate buying steps, it should help you make a good choice.
1. The first step is to know exactly what you are looking for before you even get started. So take out a piece of paper, sit down and carefully list all of the most important features of the home you want to buy.
Where do you want your new home to be located? Does it need to be near a certain school district? What size home will be needed? What size garage should it have? Do you want a one story or multi-story home? How many bedrooms and bathrooms should it have to accommodate everyone in your family?
There are plenty of other questions that you could ask yourself at this point, so try to get a clear picture of the kind of new home that you would like by brainstorming in advance.
2. Before actually starting to go out and look at properties, be sure to have your finances well in order beforehand. There is no better time to take a good hard look at your credit report, as it will have a major impact on the amount and kind of financing that you can get. If you find any discrepancies in your credit report, now is the time to get it taken care of as quickly as possible.
3. At this point it's time to decide what kind of property that you are interested in buying. For instance, would you prefer buying a home through multiple listings or a for sale by owner property? Would you consider buying a foreclosure? Or perhaps a HUD home?
What price range is the home that you would be interested in? If you are a luxury home buyer, then you should focus on that particular segment of homes. If you're a first time buyer, then most likely your sights will need to be set on much less expensive homes.
4. Now is a very good time to find the lender who will give you the best deal, and in get pre-approved for your home loan. This can help you in many ways, as going through this process will help determine for sure what price range you can afford, and it can also help you in the negotiation process as well. It's always an advantage when you already have your financing taking care of, and can go ahead and place a legitimate offer on a home without having to wait for pre-approval.
5. Due to the increasing complexity of buying real estate property these days, it makes a lot of sense to use a real estate agent to help you get tips and information, and steer you in the right direction to find the home that you want. The most important consideration is to make sure that the real estate agent is indeed working for you as the buyer and not for the seller of the home that you want to purchase. In order to find a high-quality, reliable real estate agent, ask your family and friends and anyone you know for recommendations. Very soon, you should have a short list of brokers and agents that you can choose from.
Sometimes home buying can be a little intimidating, but if you follow the five important steps listed above, it will help you stay on the right track and ensure that you get the best deal possible on the home of your dreams.
About the Author
(ArticlesBase SC #26986)